How to sync (copy) passwords between ASE 15.x servers
bslade
2010-03-15 15:23:24 UTC
I've noticed that I can copy ASE 12.5.x encrypted passwords into their
equivalent ASE 15 fields and it will work properly. I've also
noticed that when a ASE 15 password is changed, the encrypted value in
syslogins is initially copyable, but after a while, the encrypted
value changes (but not the actual password itself) and you can no
longer copy the encrypted password to another server (er, you can copy
the changed encrypted value, but the login password won't work at the
destination server).

So.. my question is, how can I keep passwords in sync between ASE 15
servers? I'm guessing it has something to do with managing encyption
keys as per http://m.sybase.com/files/White_Papers/Sybase_ASE_Encrypt_3PSS_wp.pdf

Thanks in advance
Ben Slade
tttttt
2010-04-07 01:31:38 UTC
Post by bslade
I've noticed that I can copy ASE 12.5.x encrypted passwords into their
equivalent ASE 15 fields and it will work properly.   I've also
noticed that when a ASE 15 password is changed, the encrypted value in
syslogins is initially copyable, but after a while, the encrypted
value changes (but not the actual password itself) and you can no
longer copy the encrypted password to another server (er, you can copy
the changed encrypted value, but the login password won't work at the
destination server).
So.. my question is, how can I keep passwords in sync between ASE 15
servers?   I'm guessing it has something to do with managing encyption
keys as perhttp://m.sybase.com/files/White_Papers/Sybase_ASE_Encrypt_3PSS_wp.pdf
Thanks in advance
Ben Slade
Are you saying the password of sa or the encrypted column of a common
ASE table?
bslade
2010-04-14 18:59:05 UTC
Post by tttttt
Are you saying the password of sa or the encrypted column of a common
ASE table?
Well, not the encrypted column of *any* common ASE table, but the
encrypted 'password' column of the syslogins table.

Ben