increase size of master device ??
unknown
2009-11-17 15:50:48 UTC
We are ready to upgrade from sybase 12.5 to sybase 150.
However, we have a space problem in master device. There is
only 2 MB left in order to increase the size of model and
sybsystmpdb. So we increase each of them from 2mb to 3 mb.
Will it be a problem when we try to upgrade to sybase 150
since it is only 3mb instead of 4mb ???
If that the case, how can we increase the size of master
device ??? or have to create a second device and second
mirror. We use raw device on unix sun solaris 10.
Thanks you very much,
Toni
Mark A. Parsons
2009-11-17 16:27:02 UTC
The mirror/unmirror method is probably the easiest/fastest/safest way to increase the size of the master device.
Obviously (?) make sure you update the RUNSERVER file with the new master device name once you've completed the unmirror
step.

You could look at using the 'disk resize' command to increase the size of your master device. Of course (?) this
assumes the raw device is large enough to support the increased size. If the raw device is not large enough you would
first have to speak with your OS/disk administrator to see if (s)he can increase the size of the raw device (this is
doable with some disk volume managers).

There are a couple other options which require either OS-level device copying or overlaying a new dataserver's master
device with a copy of the current dataserver's master database ... not really options for the newbie or faint of heart.

-------------

Regardless of the method you plan to use, I suggest you take every precaution to insure you can recover from a failed
attempt, ie:

- perform a master database dump prior to attempting to resize/grow the master device; also make sure you understand the
steps required to recover a master database dump

- perform the master device resizing during a period of little/no user activity; primary issue is to limit
user/application issues if you run into any problems

- run several tests against a development/test dataserver prior to attempting any changes on a production dataserver
Hi,
Toni
Luc Van der Veurst
2009-11-18 10:17:57 UTC
Post by unknown
Hi,
We are ready to upgrade from sybase 12.5 to sybase 150.
However, we have a space problem in master device. There is
only 2 MB left in order to increase the size of model and
sybsystmpdb. So we increase each of them from 2mb to 3 mb.
Will it be a problem when we try to upgrade to sybase 150
since it is only 3mb instead of 4mb ???
If that the case, how can we increase the size of master
device ??? or have to create a second device and second
mirror. We use raw device on unix sun solaris 10.
How big is your master device now? How big is your master, model and
sybsystemdb (I assume you mean this databases with sybsystmpdb) ?
How much tempdb space is defined on the master device ?

If you have other databases on the master device, the easiest option
is to move these databases to another device.

Luc.