Sybase licensing doubt
Venkitachalam
2009-12-01 14:26:53 UTC

Suppose I have a 8 Dual Core CPU machine. I have multiple instances of
Sybase 15 running on it.

Instance 1 -> 3 engines
Instances 2 -> 2 engines
Instance 3 -> 2 engines
Instance 4 -> 1 engine
Instance 5 -> 1 engine

These run on Solaris and have equal CPU shares defined.

If we go for CPU license, will we have to take (3+2+2+1+1 = 9) licenses?
Carl Kayser
2009-12-01 15:04:40 UTC
Post by Venkitachalam
Hi,
Suppose I have a 8 Dual Core CPU machine. I have multiple instances of
Sybase 15 running on it.
Instance 1 -> 3 engines
Instances 2 -> 2 engines
Instance 3 -> 2 engines
Instance 4 -> 1 engine
Instance 5 -> 1 engine
These run on Solaris and have equal CPU shares defined.
If we go for CPU license, will we have to take (3+2+2+1+1 = 9) licenses?
As with most licensing issues it might depend upon the salesman or
saleswoman! So far, all of my (unserved) SySAM licenses are by physical
server; it doesn't matter how many ASE instances are on them. It doesn't
matter how you slice and dice the ASE servers - the bottom line limit on
your capability is at the physical server level.