sudden High CPU utilization
Minch
2010-04-26 11:31:36 UTC
Dear all,

We are using Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0.3/EBF 16742 ESD#2/P/
RS6000/AIX 5.3/ase1503/2707/64-bit/FBO/Sun Jul 26 03:26:38 2009

we suddenly get high CPU utilization from 60% to 90% daily at evening.
After stopping connections to the servers, it will come down
immediately. Slowly, we have to increase the allowing the number of
connections to the production. We are trying to find out all the
posibilities. Nothing found in ASE Error log too. This is happening
regular only in evenings.

Can any one suggest, what could be the reason? We have also sysmon
report.

Thanks in Advance.

Murali
Manish Negandhi [TeamSybase]
2010-04-26 13:53:10 UTC
Post by Minch
Dear all,
We are using Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0.3/EBF 16742 ESD#2/P/
RS6000/AIX 5.3/ase1503/2707/64-bit/FBO/Sun Jul 26 03:26:38 2009
we suddenly get high CPU utilization from 60% to 90% daily at evening.
After stopping connections to the servers, it will come down
immediately. Slowly, we have to increase the allowing the number of
connections to the production.  We are trying to find out all the
posibilities. Nothing found in ASE Error log too. This is happening
regular only in evenings.
Can any one suggest, what could be the reason? We have also sysmon
report.
Thanks in Advance.
Murali
you need to find out what queries are causing high cpu utilization.
You can try to drill down further by executing

select spid,program_name,physical_io from master..sysprocesses order
by physical_io

check for top few processes consuming high io, take a showplan and
sql text of those processes and see what the processe are doing

-HTH
Manish Negandhi
[TeamSybase]