mda questions
unknown
2009-11-17 08:05:01 UTC
Hello,

I would like to know how to uninstall MDA on ASE? Is it
simply by setting "enable monitoring" to 0? this will empty
the Mon tables?

Also, I am interested in installing MDA on a single server
and poll the "MDA information" from all other ASE servers.
Could you please give me more information about ths setup? I
think this will be easier to administer than to install MDA
on each ASE. Right? What needs to be enabled on the remote
ASEs? How the "central server" will be able to poll the
remote servers? Also, once this information is polled, how
can I identify to which server this "MDA information"
belongs to?

thanks
mpeppler@peppler.org [Team Sybase]
2009-11-17 10:36:04 UTC
Post by unknown
Hello,
I would like to know how to uninstall MDA on ASE? Is it
simply by setting "enable monitoring" to 0? this will empty
the Mon tables?
That should be enough.
Post by unknown
Also, I am interested in installing MDA on a single server
and poll the "MDA information" from all other ASE servers.
Could you please give me more information about ths setup? I
think this will be easier to administer than to install MDA
on each ASE. Right? What needs to be enabled on the remote
ASEs? How the "central server" will be able to poll the
remote servers? Also, once this information is polled, how
can I identify to which server this "MDA information"
belongs to?
You can do that - but the actual MDA tables will of course still
reside on each individual server.
You'll have to create the proxy tables so that they map to each remote
server - this can be done with one database for each remote server, or
with tables that are named so that you know which proxy table maps to
which remote server...

Michael
Carl Kayser
2009-11-17 11:34:55 UTC
Post by unknown
Hello,
I would like to know how to uninstall MDA on ASE? Is it
simply by setting "enable monitoring" to 0? this will empty
the Mon tables?
Since it is the "master switch" for monitoring setting it to 0 will prevent
new data being entered into the MDA tables. Turning off all of the
individual MDA settings would also do this. (In this case setting "enable
monitoring" to 1 will result in no new data.) None of these will delete any
existing data. You could also drop the MDA tables. (I don't know what
happens if you enable monitoring settings afterwards.)
Post by unknown
Also, I am interested in installing MDA on a single server
and poll the "MDA information" from all other ASE servers.
Could you please give me more information about ths setup? I
think this will be easier to administer than to install MDA
on each ASE. Right? What needs to be enabled on the remote
ASEs? How the "central server" will be able to poll the
remote servers? Also, once this information is polled, how
can I identify to which server this "MDA information"
belongs to?
This is how Guardium and some others work. If you want to write an
application for this ..., well, then it is your application and your design.
In rough terms you would probably have to use CIS to access the remote
master databases and, at a minimum, the central repository tables would need
an additional server column (e.g., provided by select @@servername, <MDA
table columns> from <remote MDA table).
Post by unknown
thanks
You may want to check out the sybase.public.ase.mda_tables forum instead of
using this forum. And, on general priciples, specify the ASE server version
when posting.
Carl Kayser
2009-11-17 14:07:05 UTC
Post by Carl Kayser
Post by unknown
Hello,
I would like to know how to uninstall MDA on ASE? Is it
simply by setting "enable monitoring" to 0? this will empty
the Mon tables?
Since it is the "master switch" for monitoring setting it to 0 will
prevent new data being entered into the MDA tables. Turning off all of
the individual MDA settings would also do this. (In this case setting
"enable monitoring" to 1 will result in no new data.) None of these will
delete any existing data. You could also drop the MDA tables. (I don't
know what happens if you enable monitoring settings afterwards.)
Error. Although "enable monitoring" is the master switch a number of MDA
tables (e.g., monCachedObjects, monCachePool, etc) are completely
"activated" when this is set to 1.