Techniques for keeping logins and password synchronised between two dataservers
robert
2010-01-11 03:43:44 UTC
Sybase ASE 12.5.4

As per the subject, I'l looking for a way where creating a login or
changing it's password on dataserver A also happens on dataserver B,
and vice-versa.

Would it be possible to replace master..syslogins on B with a
proxy_table pointing to A? I've tried it but could not drop local
syslogins (would probably cause havoc anyway).

Any other suggestions?
Rob V [ Sybase ]
2010-01-11 08:19:15 UTC
ASE 15.0.1 or later allows you to replicate invocations of sp_password. With
Replication Server (any RS version beyond RS 12.0) you can then configure
the master database for replication and consequently when a password is
changed, this change will be replicated to the syslogins tables of other the
ASE servers that are the replication targets.
Without replication, the classic workaround is to modify the stored procs
sp_password and sp_addlogin to call the corresponding procedures in the
remote ASE servers as RPCs

HTH,

Rob V.
Rob Verschoor

Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 15.0/12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0
and Replication Server 15.0.1/12.5 // TeamSybase

Author of Sybase books (order online at www.sypron.nl/shop):
"Tips, Tricks & Recipes for Sybase ASE" (ASE 15 edition)
"The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
"The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference Guide"

mailto:***@YOUR.SPAM.sypron.nl.NOT.FOR.ME
http://www.sypron.nl
Sypron B.V., Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Chamber of Commerce 27138666
Any other suggestions?
Patrick Cain
2010-01-13 10:54:09 UTC
Rob's sp_password/addlogin method sounds best, but most places I've
worked just have a job to BCP syslogins across hourly or nightly. You
can bcp it into a temporary table on the destination server then just
insert new or update changed changed passwords.

remote ASE servers as RPCs
unknown
2010-01-12 11:11:51 UTC
You could inquire about LDAP logins managed externally to ASE. You still need to create the account on both servers but the
passwds would be external.
--
Cory Sane
[TeamSybase]
Any other suggestions?
Jason L. Froebe [TeamSybase]
2010-01-12 13:05:06 UTC
Post by unknown
You could inquire about LDAP logins managed externally to ASE. You
still need to create the account on both servers but the passwds would
be external.
or PAM authentication :)